With announcements made this week about further closures for M&S, Chris Fowler was invited on to BBC Radio 4's You and Yours program to talk about what towns can do to mitigate some of the impact.
Chris spoke about:
- Consumer perceptions of a town vs surrounding competitor locations being pivotal.
- The reluctance for people to travel too far for a local shopping experience.
- Attracting new retailers, as some of the locations which lost their BHS have moved the likes of Primark, HomeSense and others into the space.
- How Local Authorities should focus on reducing persistent vacancy as a real indicator of demand.
- How partnerships are key - initiatives such as Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) can be a really positive agent for change and can support collaboration between the Local Authority, Landlords and Developers.
To listen to Chris' interview, click here or on the image below and fast forward to 37.23 minutes.